Friday, April 6, 2012

Gracious Galbaldon

photo source
When I finished my first book I went through a reading summer researching and the craft and the habits of other writers.  One of the books suggested that as a writer one must create your own network of writers that you enjoy.  Diana Gabaldon was one of my top ten. I think her biggest strength is characterization. She creates entire clans of rival families each with very distinct troubled and yet balanced personalities.  There are some you want to marry, some you want to fall off a cliff and one that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up. 

Out of all of the writers that I sent letter to...and it was a huge stack she was the only one to write back...twice.  That makes her the very best writer that ever was.  I adore her.  




3 comments:

  1. Interesting video. I've actually never read any of her books, but its cool that she replied to you. I've always been too scared to write to any authors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great feeling isn't it? Roger Federer responded to my letter to him with two autographed postcards! He's the best!

    This is me, Duncan D. Horne, visiting you from the A-Z challenge, wishing you all the best throughout April and beyond.

    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I know today is H, but I got distracted by Diana. She is one of my all time favorites (Outlander probably being my favorite in the series, I think). Whenever I've read interviews, blog posts, etc. she always seems like such a wonderful person. I loved hearing her talk about her writing "in person." Thank you for sharing.

    PS: I have a crush on nearly every (good) male character in her books... she writes a wonderful man! :)

    ReplyDelete