Thursday, April 12, 2012

Elmore Leonard- writing wisdom




Elmore Leonard wakes up and won't let himself get a cup of coffee until he has found his flow for the day.  Rules that he lives by...write.

He says he knows that readers skip through novels but they won't skip through dialogue. This interested me. Dialogue is one of my favorite ways to reveal characters, background and scene. So much can be said by what is not said.

He stated that in the first 100 pages it is all about the characters.  They are auditioning to be the book.  I truly love this idea.  I struggled with my main character in my first novel. I think we were in a power struggle he didn't want to do what I wanted him too.  It is like he says in the video...his character didn't have the right name and so he didn't speak but as soon as he found the right name Leonard couldn't shut him up.

I enjoyed this interview, Leonard reminds me of my Grandfather.  Says just enough and in such a way that it sticks with you. 

3 comments:

  1. So I've heard that readers look forward to the dialogue, but having too much and not enough detail can be a bore, too!

    Remember to never have too many characters in the first chapter because they will confuse the reader.


    Elizabeth

    A to Z co-host

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, good advice! Best regards to you. Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post...important points to remember. Hope you are enjoying the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete